Col 3:16

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Worship Matters Chapter 5

Our example matters ... 1 Tim 4:12



Your comments matter! Share them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Chapter 5 – My Life – What do I model?
This is my favorite chapter thus far and the most convicting. I underlined several key & convicting thoughts – “leading worship starts with the way I live my life, not what I do in public.” If our true motive and desire is in leading worship is to glorify God and lead others in worship that extols the greatness of God and not ourselves, Kauflin writes, “then the example of your life will show it.” “Everything we do should be governed by one goal – to see Jesus Christ praised, exalted, magnified, lifted up, and obeyed.”
Kauflin bases this chapter on a key verse - (1 Timothy 4:12) “Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe.”
1. In Speech – to be gracious, truthful, edifying. Colossians 4:6 “Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.”
2. In Life/Conduct – I like 1 Timothy 4:15 “Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress will be evident to all.” I also liked Kauflin’s line “It’s not my songs that define my worship – it’s my life. So if your marriage is struggling, if your children are rebelling, if your viewing pornography, if you’re easily angered, if your speech is foul, or if you’re engaged in a pattern of sin…get help now. If no one is aware of your sin, start by confessing it to (God, the ones you’ve sinned against) and to those who can help you. I love Kauflin’s balance that is also applicable to Elder’s being above reproach: “the standard has for leading worship isn’t sinless perfection, but there has to be a consistent lifestyle of godliness.”
3. In love – 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. I appreciated Kauflin’s counsel – evaluate your example of love (self-centered, fleeting, polluted or God-centered, sacrificial, and holy) and consider how to grow in love/actions (1 John 3:18).
4. In Faith – Hebrews 11:6 – Earnestly seeking him by faith, steadfast confidence in His promises/goodness, trusting and hoping in God’s future rewards/heaven. “Every Sunday morning I’m seeking to point people to God…the primary way I do that is making sure I’m looking to God myself.”
5. In Purity – Psalm 101:3 “have nothing to do with evil” Romans 13:14 “But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.” Titus 2:14 “Christ gave himself … to redeem us from every lawless deed.” Kauflin gives a good definition of purity: “Purity is the quality of being undefiled, unmixed, and undiluted, free from evil or contamination. A good area to check: “The first area is our motives.” A good warning to heed: “There are few things as serious and destructive in the life of a leader as sexual impurity.”
Conclusion: A worship leader or team can’t “simply lead songs on Sunday morning or be a great musician” but a desire to make “your life count for eternity.” “If we aren’t exemplifying a genuine yearning to bring glory to God that touches every aspect of our existence then we have no business leading worship.”

JackW said...

This sort of answers the question; can a non-christian be a part of the worship team, doesn't it?