"The heart of the problem is the problem of the heart."
What happens when we show up with a heart that doesn't really want to worship?
That's sort of the question that Stephen Altrogge asks Bob Kauflin here.
Share among yourselves.
The Revelation of the Mind of Christ
1 day ago

2 comments:
I think that this chapter ties in well with the first one. If we truely desire to give God the complete glory, then our desire will be for Him. We as human beings cannot love all things the same, something must take the priority. God tells us that He is the one who is worthy. When our love for God surpasses all other, then our worship will be truely genuine.
I thought this chapter was gold because it addresses the root issue of worship – the temptation to focus on everything else and everyone else except what God focuses on and cares about – our hearts. 1 Samuel 16:7 7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." I liked how this chapter was chalked full of Scripture – especially that worship is about obeying the greatest commandment (Matthew 22:37).
Kauflin expresses honestly the battle in all of us – being or “idolaters” at heart or as I’ve heard before “glory stealers” – not loving God supremely and giving him all the glory, but giving the praise, place, or priority to someone (usually ourselves) or something else. I appreciated his transparency that we all can relate to – to be man pleasers instead of God pleasers. He was brutally honest about his breakdown, saying “I was battling God for his glory - and losing.” I pray the Lord continually searches and purges our hearts of what Bob confessed – the ongoing attempt of our flesh to draw attention to “my gifts, my abilities, and my efforts.”
I liked the honesty of this chapter and the simplicity – to worship is to love (God). I also appreciated its insight – “it’s a fact that what we love most will determine what we genuinely worship.” Therefore, “worship isn’t primarily about music, techniques, liturgies, songs, or methodologies. It’s about our hearts. It’s about what and who we love more than anything.”
Finally, I liked the correct interpretation and application of Scripture. I think the last page of Chapter 2 he was thinking or referring to Luke 14:26-27 26 "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. 27 "Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.” Kauflin rightly comments, “God wants us to love him more than our instruments and music. More than our possessions, food, and ministry. More than our wife and children. More than our own lives. That doesn’t mean we can’t love anything else. Or that we shouldn’t love anything else. But we can’t love anything in the right way unless we love God more” (supremely). As we all look at what we love the most (who or what we spend or invest the best our time, money, thoughts, energy, and affections), may the Watts quote on what is infinitely important be true of our church and worship team: “to have the whole heart engaged steadfastly for God.”
Post a Comment